Friday, January 23, 2009

REALLY Hidden Palms

Day Twenty Three

Lack of time kills my plans more often than not.  I had less than an hour before dark and I didn't really want to do a hike near home that I'd already done.  Today's hike, though, I'm gonna have to do over.  I didn't quite finish. 

A different hike everyday has been my goal for this first month.  It looks like I will be able to accomplish it but it's getting tougher.  I'm not running out of hikes but the hikes I want to do are getting further away.

I decided I'd go over to the 1000 Palms area and hike toward Pushwalla Palms.  I knew I wouldn't have time to get all the way there but I thought I'd go part of the way and then just turn back.

I started following the trail signs on this well marked and well traveled trail.

No map needed here.

I get to some big steps going up the bank.

Here's a closer look

I decide to change course and head to Hidden Palms instead of Pushwalla.

The sun is starting to set and I'm not really that close yet.

I get to where I can see that tops of palm trees but that's it.  I'm losing light already and I want to get back before dark.  Besides, my son is making a chicken dinner on the BBQ and I can't miss that.  I'm gonna have to come back another time.

I make it back to the steps during twilight but I did bring a light just in case.  

Down the steps and back to the car I go.  I'll be coming back soon.

1000 Palms is a great place to visit if you are ever in the Coachella Valley.   Next time I go there I'll give myself just a bit more time.

No comments: