Thursday, January 15, 2009

Get me to the Church

January 15
Day Fifteen
There are a ton of new trails in Palm Desert.  So many, in fact, that I don't know the names of all of them.  Today I hiked one of them, a short one.

One of the difficulties in trying to hike every day is that I have a life.  Kids, wife, job, bills are part of my every day existence.  So are stupid little responsibilities like going to the bank.  People hate bankers these days and for good reason.  Bankers have played a major role in screwing up our economy and in the end we are the ones who are going to pay for it.  I hate bankers because they almost made me miss my hike today.

It's a long story but I waited for over a half an hour and still never got the five minute task that I was waiting for completed.  Since I was on a very tight schedule today I left before being helped. Too bad I can't bill them for a poor service fee.

Some of the new Palm Desert hikes start at the Cahuilla Hills Park.  It's not really much of a park and I always think of it as the park near the little church near the mountains.

This church.

Can you tell this city is run by old people?  Do you think there's anything else they could disallow at the park?  Oh wait, if you go to the City Clerk you can get the full list.

So this is the trail I pick today.  

It heads up a hill until I reach a place where the main trail goes to the left.  I go to the right.

It takes me to this little canyon and I can only get so far before I have to head back.  Another adventure for another day.

Nice views looking east over Palm Desert.

Chuparosa is starting to bloom.  In another couple of weeks both it and the brittlebush will be in their full glory.

Here's another trail to try next time.  Now will somebody tell me who Gabby Hayes and Herb Jefferies are?

1 comment:

Libby said...

Gabby Hayes is an old-timey cowboy actor. Look him up! Keep up the good work. I'm still thinking about walking every day around the block, instead of just to my car.