Friday, August 21, 2009

On The Road Again

DAY TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY THREE

The Tahoe Rim Trail is a 165 mile trail that encircles Lake Tahoe. Along with the Wonderland Trail around Mount Rainier in Washington and the Timberline Trail around Mount Hood in Oregon it is one of the great loop trails in the United States. Since we had to leave to head back to Southern California today I didn't have time to do the whole thing today but I wanted to get a little taste of it before I left. Fortunately, a little section of it is about four miles from our hotel.

Now the directions I get are not real good but while I'm driving up the road I spot this sign for a park and figure I'll try going there and see what I come up with.

It's a pretty good guess because I find the trailhead no problem. One thing I've discovered here is the area has very good signage, at least AT the trailheads. At home in the desert the signage is terrible, everywhere.

The Tahoe Rim Trail is a multi-use trail for a large portion of its 165 miles and that is evident here with mountain bike tracks on the trail.

It is not too long on the trail before I get a view of the lake in the distance.

I also get a view of Castle Rock. I don't think there is anywhere I hike that does not have a place called Castle Rock. I think when people place a permanent name on something they should at least use a little imagination.

The view of the lake really opens up and if you look real close you can see a hot air balloon over the lake. I think that is the one outing the wife didn't plan on this trip.

Looking to the west there is a nice view of Mount Tallac.

I've had nice views along the trail so I really look forward to the view from the Vista this sign points to.

It is somewhat disappointing unless you came up here for a vista of trees. I don't know who put this sign here but this must be the wrong place or someone is playing a joke on everyone.

I head back to the trail and come to a fork and take it, heading to the right.

I soon discover that this is NOT the way I want to go. It leads downhill and away from the direction I want to go. The trail is fairly new and not on the topo in a lot of areas. I'll just go exploring.

I follow the trail around keeping Castle Rock in view as a good way to determine my location. I come to another fork and head left this time. This should take me back.

This route brings me back toward the parking area and to a gate that blocks an old road. THAT is on the map but not most of the other trails I hiked on.

I get to the road just down from where I parked and now have to head back and get ready for the long drive to Orange County. The wife has to go to a conference there tomorrow so our Tahoe adventure is over for this year but we'll definitely be back. I've got a lot more trails to explore here and the wife still has parasailing, jet skiing and hot air ballooning to do.

2 comments:

Pocahontas hiker said...

I hope you get to Washington State as there are many awsome hikes. God bless and I hope you get to hike every day too!
http://pocahontaspostcard.blogspot.com/

Hal Summers said...

I've hiked a lot in Washington, just not this year. I've climbed Rainier and done lots of hiking in the Cascades and Olympics. I'd love to to some Washington hikes this year. We'll see.