Thursday, December 10, 2009

Water Canyon

DAY THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY FOUR

This morning my schedule forced me to get up early and do my hike before taking Nikolas to school. I don't like it this early but you do what you gotta do.

I don't often enjoy it but the sunrise sure is purdy.

I hiked up to some water tanks yesterday so today I headed over to another spot where water collects to see how it looks. Over twenty years ago when I hiked this trail it was faint and rarely used. Now, there's a sign and a fair amount of traffic although this time of day it's pretty deserted.

Kahlua and I have the place to ourselves.

One of these days I'm going to follow this canyon to the end but today we're just going to see if there's any water.

Someone has built this little dam but with a sandy bottom there's no chance for any water to stay for long.

Above this first dry waterfall is a tank that should have some water.

There's a significant amount of water in this tank and Kahlua says it's really tasty, too.

There may be more water further up this canyon but Kahlua, while a good hiker, isn't much of a rock climber so we'll have to stop here.

No comments: