Tuesday, March 17, 2009

No Longer Hidden

DAY SEVENTY SIX
A couple of months ago I set out to hike to Hidden Palms in the Coachella Valley Preserve. I never made it there because I got a late start and it got dark so I had to go back. Well, this morning I went back and made it to the oasis. It's a fairly easy hike and a huge oasis, larger than I imagined.


You start on Thousand Palms Canyon Road near the 1000 Palms Oasis and follow the trail that leads out to Pushwalla Palms.

There are a good amount of these Desert Dandelions along the way.

As well as some of these Desert Sunflowers

After climbing some steps you come to a clear trail junction and I'm off to Hidden Palms.

From the trail you can look over and see Horseshoe Palms

The Hidden Palm Oasis is HUGE. I think it is at least as big as the 1000 Palms Oasis although I don't take the time to count. Next time I'm at the Visitor's Center I'll ask them and see if they know. I'm sure one of the docents has taken the time to count the trees.

On the way back, there's a nice view of San Jacinto. Pretty soon I'll be doing a LOT of hiking up there.

On the way back I see a huge kettle of vultures circling in the sky. Obviously, there's something out there of interest. So far this year I've done all the oasis at the Preserve except the Pushwalla. Once I get a little extra time I'll do that. I want to get there before it gets too hot. I don't want to end up a as a meal for these guys.

No comments: