Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Flower Power

Day Seventy Seven

One month ago today I went out to hike on the southern section of the Boo Hoff Trail and didn't. I got on another section of the trail and hiked up a canyon to nowhere. It was a fun hike, just not where I intended to go. Well, I ascribe to the "If at first you don't succeed, don't be so stupid the next time" philosophy so this time I consulted a map before leaving.

The southern section of the Boo Hoff Trail is south of Lake Cahuilla and can be reached by a dirt road that leaves Avenue 56 just before turning into The Quarry or the County Park. At the end of the road is this sign that lets you know it's the end of the road.

There are plenty of Blue Palo Verde trees in bloom along the wash that leads to the trail.

The blossom of the Blue Palo Verde, Parkinsonia florida

A sign which assures me that this time I am at the right place.

Ghost Flower, Mohavea confertiflora.

There are so many flowers blooming right now--like this Windmill, Allionia incarnata. However, they probably won't last too much longer. NOW is the time to get out there and enjoy them.

Obviously, I am not the only one enjoying the flowers along the trail.

The trail wanders up until I reach this point where you are asked to stay on the trail. What fun is that? I guess I'll just turn around here. Besides, I do have to get to work.

Sometimes you don't have to look very hard to see several different types of flowers--there are five in this picture--but you do have to go look. So what are you waiting for?

No comments: