Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bear Necessities

Day Sixty Four
There are hundreds of places to hike in Southern California and sometimes it's tough to figure out where to go on a given day. On other days, the decision is practically made for me. It has to be close and it has to be doable in under two hours. Fortunately, I can do that right out my front door.

I decided on the Bear Creek Trail today. I have been back in this area a few times this year but haven't hit the trail yet. The trail climbs to a palm oasis on the side of Sheep Mountain but unfortunately I won't have time to do the whole trail today. Hopefully, I'll be able to do it before it gets too hot.

You wander out the wash at the top of the La Quinta Cove amongst the blooming Brittlebush and Chuparosa. If you want to go out and see flowers in the desert, I'd suggest you go now. Some things are past their peak while others are just coming out.

The Blue Palo Verde is in full bloom with its bright yellow flowers.

They don't want you coming here from July-Sept. because it's a Bighorn watering hole. July-Sept? No problem.

This is one of the many various canyons up here. Although I've hiked this trail many times before I don't remember it. I guess I was always focused on getting to the palms that I never really looked around much. Now this is another place to explore.

This is the deep cleft of Bear Creek Canyon. I have lived here over twenty years and have hiked here numerous times. I've seen Bighorn Sheep, Rattlesnakes, Deer, Lizards, Hawks, various rodents and other assorted wildlife. But never have I seen a Bear here. I just must be going the wrong time of day or something.

The view from the trail on the way down.

I have got to get myself a shirt like this. (click picture to zoom) I had no problem picking this hiker out from almost a mile away. This is how to never get lost. Although my wife said if I fall down again like I did last week she's going to get me a GPS dog collar and make me wear it. I think a bright shirt like this might be a good compromise, don't you?

4 comments:

Libby said...

What do you need an orange shirt for when you already have orange hair?

Actually, I think a dog collar GPS or any other GPS is a good idea if you are hiking alone.

Libby said...

Why do you need an orange shirt when you already have orange hair.

A GPS,dog collar or otherwise, is a GOOD idea

darlene said...

this is the 3rd time i have tried to leave you a comment. i just wanted to say that you are doing a great job with your blog and with acheiving your goal! i saw your comments on mydesert.com this morning too! from darlene (lindas friend at mimis)

Hal Summers said...

I changed my comment setting so now anyone can leave a comment. Before you had to have a Gmail account in order to do so.