Monday, May 11, 2009

Roundabout Round Valley

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY ONE

Finding time to hike is never a problem. Finding time to do all the hikes I want to do is quite a different matter. Today I dropped my kids at school and was ready to head to the Tram when my son noticed his glasses were not on his face where they belong. I had to run home and get them and then drive to the Tram hoping I could still make the first car up without getting a speeding ticket.

I pull into the parking lot just in time to watch the Tram head up the cable. Luckily, today Tram cars are running every 20 minutes instead of every 30 so my wait won't be too long.

I'll just sit here and enjoy this fake waterfall and funky Bighorn while I put on sunscreen.

I go to the Ranger Station, get my permit and head off on the Round Valley Trail, at least for a while. Where the trail crosses the creek, I head to the right instead and go up Sid Davis Canyon. This is a little shortcut to get up the mountain and is MUCH preferred to the trail. In fact, I almost never take the trail. It's rocky and crowded. Just don't tell anyone about this shortcut. I don't want it to become crowded, too.

I quickly get to Tamarack Valley.

And from there, follow a regular maintained trail to Round Valley.

I figure I'll just top off my water bottle at this spigot. Purify before drinking, it says. Sure, no problem.
I've been drinking this water straight outta the pipe for over twenty-five years. I hope this isn't the year it finally catches up to me.

I head back toward the Tram but cut off to the right on this trail that points to Willow Creek. I don't know if it has an official name but I always call it the High Trail. After Sid Davis Canyon, this is the preferred way to go to and from Round Valley.

It offers great views looking up toward San Jacinto and Jean Peak.

It also offers a nice place to sit and enjoy those splendid vistas.

From the trail, you also get a nice view looking back toward the Tram. I go off on another cross country shortcut in order to make it back to the Tram on time. It's a good thing, too. I get to the waiting room just as they were putting out the last call for the car to go down.

I may not have all the time to do what I want to do but who does? I'm grateful to be able to do what I love in the time I have.

No comments: