Sunday, May 31, 2009

One Happy Pup

DAY ONE FIFTY ONE

Our pooch, Kahlua, has become a hiking fiend. She LOVES to go hiking with me. Yesterday, when I was getting my pack ready to go on my hike, she started jumping up and down against our sliding glass door like some crazed kangaroo. I thought for a minute that she might break through. Unfortunately, I was unable to take her yesterday because I was going to 1000 Palms and it is a nature preserve; no dogs allowed.

Today, I was not going to disappoint her again. Since we've pretty much covered all the trails available to dogs here in La Quinta, it was time for a road trip all the way to Palm Desert. I don't think Kahlua has ever been that far so she was very excited. So am I. The entire hike is in the shade since the sun just set behind the hill.

We head over to the Homestead Trail because this is a trail where you are allowed to take your dog off leash. Kahlua hates the leash.

Before we head off, we make sure we get a poop bag. Thankfully, I won't need it.

These steps are the only steps on the whole trail. I don't know why they're here but I guess to help keep erosion at bay. If nothing else, they're a cool way to start.

Up the trail a hundred yards or so is the picnic table and water fountain. You know that saying about leading a horse to water but not being able to make them drink? The same holds true for dogs.

Kahlua can't really figure out which trail to take. Too many choices.

We look down on the long and winding trail. I bet trail makers get paid by the foot.

We encounter three hikers with three dogs and after sniffing one another we go our separate ways. OK, we left the sniffing to the dogs but they all passed inspection.

We see another couple of hikers with a dog below us. In all, we saw seven hikers and five dogs on our little excursion. Every single one had a smile on their face.

We make our way all the way around to the Herb Jefferies Trail. This isn't a trail split; the little trail to the left leads into a canyon I call El BaƱo Canyon. I'll let you figure out why.

We drop down the Herb Jeffries Trail and walk back to our parking area along the flood control ditch. It's not a pretty way to finish a hike but I think Kahlua is tired and will appreciate the flat ground. This is the longest hike she's done; she'll sleep well tonight.

It used to be that you could take your dog on almost every trail here in the desert but they've become quite restrictive due to the Bighorn Sheep. But if you're looking for a good place to hike with your dog in the desert, this is probably your best bet. Kahlua loved it.

No comments: