Saturday, May 2, 2009

Million Dollar Views

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO

Today the weather in the Coachella Valley was supposed to be terrible. Instead, it was very nice and in the afternoon it was perfect for a hike. Of course, for me every day is perfect for a hike.

I hit the Araby Trail in Palm Springs and head up to the hills above Bob Hope's House. It's late afternoon so most of the hike is in the shade. It's a good thing because although it is not real hot today, it is kinda humid, like 40%.

At the bottom of the hill a trailer park shares the same driveway as the mansions above.

The trail could use a little work since this palm tree is blocking most of it. It is not a problem for me but it might prove a solid obstacle for others.

There's no need to bring out the heavy equipment to fix the trail. A chain saw would have been OK.

The trail heads on up the hill by the Bob Hope House. I thought Chrysler owned this at one time. Who knows, maybe you could get it pretty cheap right about now.

The trail soon takes you past the mushroom shaped house and up into the hills above. You don't have to be a millionaire to enjoy this view.

I come to the Berns Trail and could take it to some other trails but instead decide to hike up to the little peak just to the west of the trail junction.

The peak is topped by this pile of rocks. I add one for luck.

Down below, you can see light pouring into the Coachella Valley.

Just as it does above Mount San Jacinto.

As I relax on this little unnamed mountain top, I feel like I'm the richest man in Palm Springs and with views like this I don't know if there's anyone who would argue with me.

No comments: