Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY

Mother's Day, the national holiday made to honor Mom. To do so I went for a hike in 104º heat so I'd get back in time to take Mom to dinner.

Now it's often been said it's not the heat it's the humidity and that's true but the thing they don't take into the equation is the radiant heat, direct sunlight. That's what kills you. Usually when I go out on hot afternoons I try to go when the sun has already gone over the horizon. Today that wasn't possible because I needed to get back in time to take Mom to dinner. Hopefully, I won't have to do it again.

I came prepared, though. I brought plenty of water, a mister bottle and a walking stick to avert any snakes. That was my wife's idea and although I know it's too hot for snakes, she's a mom, too, so I brought it to honor her.

I leave the parking area and notice that there's one other psycho out here hiking this afternoon.

And this guy may just be crazier than I am. At least I have a shirt to cover my skin. Can you say melanoma?

Someone has done a very nice landscaping job around this ocotillo. It really looks nice out here about a mile from the parking area

Wow! Look at this! Shade! I'm so excited I'm going to get about 15 seconds of shade! WooHoo!

I didn't see any snakes along the way but they're out here. I came upon some freshly shed snakeskin.

I get up to the start of the Boo Hoff Trail and decide to turn back here. I could actually go further, the heat is not too oppressive, but I've got to get back to take Mom to dinner.

Something I did not expect to see on this hike were flowers. But right off the trail I spotted this beautiful little Desert Five Spot, Eremalche rotundfolia.

When I finally get back to the parking area, it has really started to fill up.

And it's easy to see why. The temperature has dropped all the way to 100º. It's a good thing I brought a jacket.

I love you, Mom!






No comments: