Wednesday, April 8, 2009

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

DAY NINETY EIGHT

With the full moon coming tomorrow, a night hike seemed appropriate. Especially since I worked all day and would not have a chance to get out any other time. Trying to figure out what trail to do was easy. I wanted a trail with a clear view to the East and one where the mountains would not block the moon. That left me with pretty much two choices: the Lykken-Museum Trail in Palm Springs or the (ugh) Mirage Trail aka Bump and Grind in Palm Desert. Since my time was limited, by default, it would have to be the B&G. I've made no secret of my disdain for this "trail" but tonight it seems like the best choice.

I drove straight over from work and got ready to join the crowds. I feel like putting a trail map on cars at this place telling people there are better trails around.

The sun has set but there is still plenty of light. It is pretty windy and clouds are hugging the top of Mount San Jacinto.

I am not ten minutes up the trail when I turn around notice the moon is already up. I know it always comes up a bit early before the full moon--which is tomorrow--but I didn't expect it to be up this early.

I didn't bring a flashlight because I figure I'll have ample light for my hike down.

I look over at the Palm Desert Cross and think I could have hiked there but the mountains probably would have obscured the moon coming up, like they do the sunrise.

I'm up toward the top of the trail as it starts to get dark and the lights are going on in the city.

I follow the trail down and by moonlight it really doesn't seem so bad. The glow of the moon sort of acts like lunar beer goggles.

Plus the view of the city below is magnificent.

My rudimentary photo skills cannot fully capture how well the trail is lit by just moonlight.
But I make it back to the car without mishap and without any source of light but this.

I really enjoy the peacefulness of a full moon hike and I think I'm going to try to do one every month. I think everyone should.

No comments: