Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Falling Forward

DAY TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE

While the calendar now says Fall the weather didn't get the message. It is still over 100º here but we're getting close to the end of the season of suffering. The overnight lows are getting into the 60s so it is nicer in the morning that it has been. This morning when I first woke up it was 64º. By the time I got out it was 75º but that's still better than a few weeks ago. It's almost nice.

This sign dictates how I'll be hiking for the next several days. I won't have much time this week to go anywhere but the local area so I'll have to make the most of it. Work is busy and will be taking a lot of my time. I need to get a job hiking.

Up in the Cove Oasis area here in La Quinta they've put up a new sign. I've always thought these signs were terrible and this one is no different. Of course, I'd prefer a hiking sign with a decent map (not that I need it myself). Then I thought maybe this sign is directed to its tourist targeted audience who might not know how to read a real map.

It has a highly reflective plexiglass cover that makes it hard to read.

On the back side are some instructions for hikers, general use trail rules.

Someone put an arrowhead made out of rocks here since my last visit.

I head down these rocks instead of going out of my way to hit the trail.

And it looks like someone did the same thing in their vehicle, unsuccessfully.

At the top, I head out across the open desert. Not much to see today but I'm enjoying the "cooler" weather.

I'd like to head up to the Boo Hoff Trail but work awaits.

It's so nice today I run back and when I get to my Jeep it's only 85º. It sure beats the 110º of just a few weeks ago. I love Fall.

No comments: