Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer Hours

DAY TWO HUNDRED AND TEN

This morning I went to the 1000 Palms Oasis for a little restful hike. It's a good thing I got there early.

For summer the place is only open for four hours a day. Of course, by ten o'clock it's too hot for most people to be hiking. Actually, by eight it's too hot for a lot of people. When I pull in the parking lot is completely empty.

The place is definitely being worked on. There are some fallen palms that have not been moved. Here's one that's collapsed right on this bench.

And this one is toppled upon this picnic table. With the oasis closing by ten no one will be staying for lunch anyway.

The oasis itself is quite overgrown and it looks like it's been a while since someone came this way with some loppers.

This walkway is even more overgrown. Who would've thought you could hike through a jungle in the desert?

You don't have to worry about that today. With the trails so overgrown going off them would be taking your life in your hands. Who knows what critters you might stumble upon?

Like this deadly creature! Look at the ears on that beast!

Don't think this could be dangerous? I've seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I know what these creatures can do. And I did not bring any Holy Hand Grenades.

I get over to the pond and it's closed and easy to see why. No temptation to ignore the No Swimming sign today.

On the way back I am not tempted to hike back to the oasis. That'll have to wait until fall. It's kinda creepy in there right now.

No comments: