Thursday, July 2, 2009

Like Pulling Teeth

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY THREE

I went to the dentist this morning and then went hiking right after that. Thankfully, the dentist visit was painless--I was just having a crown cemented back on--and I must admit the hike was, too. I went to see what kind of work was done on the Bump and Grind Trail. They were supposed to widen it because some whiners didn't like hiking on a trail and wanted it more like the road section higher up. The work got done but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference.

As I get ready to start up the trail, the temperature is ONLY 90ยบ. But alarmingly, I see an agent of the Department of Fish and Game. He's on the phone talking to the office and informing them of this "new" trail. I think he's referring to the Hopalong Cassidy Trail that is a couple of years old since that's the one he starts hiking up. I figure with the budget crisis going on in the state, DFG really have to work hard to keep their jobs so they're probably looking for more trails to close and monitor.

I think the trail has been widened here. I can't really tell but it seems like it.

Here's a section that's been updated. I can tell because there's a part that no one has walked on. I think they just added a few new sections as passing lanes.

Here's a picture of some of the rock work that they did.

I wasn't real fond of this trail to begin with and the new work doesn't make a difference but there is one thing this "trail" has going for it: you do get a nice view.

I have finished the first six months of my quest to hike every day for a year. I'm halfway home! Tonight I will post my six favorite hikes of the first part of the year. Be sure to check it out.


No comments: