Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sick Day

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT

I hate being sick.

It happens so infrequently I really don't know how to handle it. I can go years without getting so much as a sniffle. I figure germs do not want to reside in my body so they steer clear of me. This time, however, they got Nikolas first (about a week ago) and liked the family so much they decided to hang around a bit longer. I'm the one paying the price now.

Last night, I was in bad shape. Twice, I had to wake up due to my sheets being drenched with sweat and then I'd get the chills and be freezing. It was no fun at all.

So this afternoon's hike was the first of the year that my wife came along. She drove me to the trailhead and walked along in case I collapsed and someone had to call 911.

We headed to the top of the La Quinta Cove and my wife expressed amazement that there is a National Monument near our house. Of course, it's only been here for about ten years and I don't know if she's been hiking with me in that time.

It was great to have her along and she also was able to see the La Quinta Cove Oasis for the first time.

There are some funky things out in the desert and we were trying to figure out what this pedestal surrounded by a rock circle could possibly be for.

Nikolas thought it could be for a statue of him pointing people to the wilderness.

Of course, I think this would be a better location for his monument.

Our hike today lasted just under an hour and the fresh air actually did me good. Thanks to my wife and son, who helped me get out today when all I felt like doing was lying in bed. I couldn't have made it without you.

1 comment:

helene novak said...

Hi Hal,

You were wondering about the pedestal in La Quinta Cove.
Last year some people stole what was attached to the pedestal, it was a $3500 bronze piece of art, I think it was a sundial but I am not quiet sure. Just thought I'd let you know.

Helene Novak La Quinta