Saturday, April 25, 2009

Asbestos Exposure

DAY ONE HUNDRED FIFTEEN

I have climbed most of the peaks in our area that have names and many that don't. Today I went and climbed one of those I hadn't done.

Asbestos Mountain is visible from most of the Coachella Valley even though most people would not know its name. It creates a backdrop for the Santa Rosas as seen from Palm Desert and is readily visible to all driving up Highway 74.

You reach the starting point to Asbestos Mountain from Piñon. It is a rocky off trail climb of about 1000 feet of elevation gain.

There were several flowers in bloom along the climb including these Hedgehog Cactus

A closer look.

As you make your way up the gully, you have to head around this prominent boulder along the ridge.

As I make my way up, I enjoy more flowers in bloom amongst the boulders.

This is the summit. There is a huge dead tree marking it and while it looks like a formidable climb, you can go around the other side and just walk up.

From the top, there are wonderful views in all directions. Here are Sheep Mountain and Martinez Mountain.

Looking South to Santa Rosa Mountain and Toro Peak with Piñon Flat far below.

I sign in to the summit log.

After enjoying the view of the Coachella Valley, 5,000 feet below, I head back to the desert. I don't know why I've never climbed this peak before but there is no question that I'll be back. It's peaceful, cool and beautiful, with no one around. I can't wait to come back.

No comments: