Sunday, April 12, 2009

On The Lookout, Part Two

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND TWO

This morning I got up at my father in law's, drove down to Indian Wells and went to work, drove back up Hwy 74 and went hiking. I went back to climb Lookout Mountain and this time I was going to make it to the top.


You start the hike where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses Hwy 74. Head south.

Be on the lookout for headless horsemen.

Follow the trail to the left at the small little saddle about a 1/2 mile from the start. Don't get caught looking at the view or you'll miss it.

The trail climbs up through the Ribbonwood. Literally.

I didn't see any human footprints going up but I saw this hoof print from a deer.

Someone put this nice bench up on the trail. It faces west and I would imagine you can see some pretty nice sunsets from up here.

When you get to the top, you will find this red can with a logbook inside.

But the elements have gotten to it and the logs were waterlogged. I didn't bother to sign in.

While there are plenty of bushes on top of this little mountain, you have great views all around. Here you can see Thomas Mountain on the right and Cahuilla Mountain on the left.

Looking down toward Garner Valley and up to San Jacinto.

The hike up Lookout Mountain is not a great hike by any means but it is well worth the modest effect to get to the top just for the views. If you're ever driving up Hwy 74 with a bit of time to kill, you should consider it. Just go on a cool day.

No comments: