Friday, April 3, 2009

Blowin' In The Wiind

DAY NINETY THREE

I'm always looking for new places to hike. I don't mind doing the same hike over and over again; I just don't want to write about it, so I try to change it up a little.

This morning I was back at the Coachella Valley Preserve, one of my favorite places to hike. I've done all the oases, explored the Moon Country and visited the pond at the McCallum Grove but I figure there's gotta be something else I haven't done.

Looking up on the hillside, I see my destination for the day. (Click on the photo to enlarge it and you'll see it, too).

I start on the trail to the McCallum Grove always keeping my eye on the prize.

Who comes up with these signs? What they should say is, "Don't cut through here. Six rattlesnake bites recorded in this area". That'd stop 'em.

Before you get to the McCallum Grove, stay to the left where all the sign tell you to go right.

Just past the home there, go left.

From here there is only one way to go, straight up!

As I get to the top, the terrain is loose rock and sand and the wind is screaming! In order to stay up I literally have to put my hands on the ground and crawl up the hill. If I let go, I am sure I will be blown all the way back to the car.

And it's a long way down.

The cross is probably eight feet tall and guyed with wires. If it can withstand this wind, it is not going anywhere. Gusts were probably over 50 MPH.

I am NOT going down the way I just came up. I look for another way and find this little trail but it peters out.

I wander around until I finally make it to where I can see the road that leads back to the parking area and the oasis.

How many roads must a man walk down?

I come upon a strong water flow from the oasis but I've got a bottle in the car so I pass.

A quick left, hop a fence and I'll be back where I started.

I am constantly amazed by the amount of tourists that visit the natural places in the Coachella Valley. On most days, they far outnumber the locals. I don't know if people living here are too busy or just too lazy to come out but they're missing out on the best time of year in the greatest place on earth. Pretty soon, it'll be hot, the tourists will be gone and I'LL be the only one out there.

At least it won't be windy.


No comments: