Friday, June 12, 2009

Distant Relatives

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY THREE

I had to hang close to home today because I had to meet with a construction company who is fixing the entry way on my house. I was going to just go and hike up a trail that I've done a few times this year but then I noticed a side canyon that I hadn't ever explored.

Kahlua always wants to go even if it's in the middle of the day. Fortunately, it has not been too hot so I don't feel bad about taking her out in the heat. Once it warms up again she'll only be going in the morning or evening no matter what she wants.

She fancies herself a great hunting hound. She needs to be a little more selective, though. She pretty much chases anything that moves.

We head up this little side canyon. I'm hoping to find some tinajas or maybe on old Indian Trail or something other than just brown rocks. Then I see something move.

Running across the rocks is one of Kahlua's distant relatives, the coyote. He runs away from us but then stops and looks back, curious about what we're doing there. (click on picture to enlarge)

He gets a better viewpoint and checks us out for quite a while. I thought about moving in his direction to get a closer picture but he knows this area much better than I do and I have no chance catching him in this rocky terrain.

He also blends in really well. It's amazing how well camouflaged different animals in the desert are. You really have to look close to see them sometimes.

While I have heard the cries of coyotes many evenings on my hikes, this is the first time I've seen one this year. Coyotes are prevalent in the desert and they are frequently responsible for people's missing pets. It is much easier for them to catch a curious little lap dog than a fast and cautious jack rabbit. That is why it is a good idea never to let your pooch out of your sight. These wily critters are our neighbors and will gladly make your pet a midnight snack. Thankfully, Kahlua stays close. She's too tired from chasing little varmints. She probably thinks she could take this coyote but I won't give her the chance. As much as she loves hiking, she's no match for this guy who lives in the wilderness. None of us are. He's just too wily.

2 comments:

Libby said...

I love the coyote pics. It's kind of like a "Where's Waldo" of the desert.

Libby said...

I like the coyote pics, a Where's Waldo of the desert.