Friday, June 19, 2009

Back So Soon?

DAY ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY

While I try to hike in a different place every day but sometimes it's not possible. Generally I wait weeks or even months before going back to an area but today I went back to a hike that I just started on Wednesday. I found a new trail and wanted to see where it went.

The trail I take is well marked. It even is marked when it travels over some bigger rocks.

As I turn off of the main trail onto the trail that goes up the canyon there are several Indian trail shrines.

I follow the trail up the canyon to see what I can find. It is easy to see where to go at this point.

That doesn't last, however. As I get to this wash the trail pretty much disappears.

I guess I'll just go over here and see if I can see anything.

I've come quite a way from where I started. It hasn't been difficult even though it's a constant uphill. The footing is not great since I'm stepping on rocks the whole way but after a while you get used to it.

I don't see a lot of interest but then this circular thing catches my eye and I have to hop over several boulders to go and check it out.

It is a mirror. I have no idea what good a mirror would be up here but I guess for some people it's important to look your best while exploring.

I look around some more and find a few dry tinajas. There may be some larger ones up here that hold water but I've got to get back and head to work. I don't think I'll be coming back as soon next time. I'll probably wait until fall when the weather cools off a bit.

There's nothing to see here today but the water that catches in here could remain for weeks and would be a nice watering hole for wildlife.

I wish there were some record, or some old guys who knew the history, of this canyon. Since there's not I'll just have to make it up. I've decided to call this Yucatan Canyon since it's above the Yucatan area of La Quinta. Now I just have to get out of here without spraining my ankle.

No comments: