Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hiking Down The PCT from Fuller Ridge

DAY THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE

Last Tuesday I did my longest hike of the year from Snow Creek to the summit of Mount San Jacinto and then on to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. Today a group of about fifteen hikers did the same hike and I went to lend my support. No, I didn't do the hike again--my feet would never forgive me--but I went to bring drinks to a spot 17 miles in and bring a few people back who were not going to do the entire 30+ miles. While I was there I figured I'd go for a little hike down the PCT. I was glad I did because when I was coming up all I looked at was the trail. Now I was able to enjoy the view.

The Fuller Ridge Trailhead is eight miles up the Black Mountain Road right off of Highway 243, west of Idyllwild.

It was cold when I got there in the morning. Cold enough that the small amount of snow on the ground has remained there for over a week.

Heading down the PCT will some bring you to one of the best views in Southern California.

From just a mile down the trail you feel like you can almost reach out and touch Mount San Gorgonio.

Looking a little to the south you can look right into Orange County and Saddleback Mountain. From here, I can look easily into four Southern California counties.

That is, when I'm not enjoying looking at the granite rock formations.

I meet some of the hikers coming up the trail and enjoyed my time meeting them all. Hopefully in the future I'll actually be able to spend some time hiking with them all rather than just being the support crew. But for whatever the reason it was a pleasure to get up in the mountains again and I hope to be able to do it at least once more before the winter rolls in.

No comments: