Thursday, November 5, 2009

Communication Breakdown

DAY THREE HUNDRED AND NINE

People often say that communication is the key to a successful marriage. If that's the case I have no idea how I've been able to stay married to the wife for over 21 years. Even after all these years she's still unable to read my mind and divine what I have planned. It gets very frustrating.

Today my son, Nikolas, was still sick and needed to be cared for. On Thursdays, the wife goes to a women's prayer meeting--to pray for forbearance, I'm sure--but I figured that today she'd know I needed her to come home and watch Nik. I had a great hike planned. At no time did I actually tell her this but I imagined she'd instinctively understand that she was needed. Women are usually good at this. Or, at least the try to make us think they are.

Since the wife is seriously lacking in her mind reading skills I am forced to hike at the only time I have left, after dark. I really don't mind it; I just don't want to do it all the time but with the time change and it getting dark so early some days there may not be any other option.

This sign is pointing to another trail but I'm sure the one I'm going on is also open.

I'm glad there are lots of signs like this but they really should be reflective.

I climb up the trail and get to where I can look down at Target. The great thing about hiking in the dark is that I am the only one on the trail. Come during the day and it has more traffic than Highway 111.

I was enjoying the howls, yips and cries of some coyotes on my way up but that got old quickly. After a while they just sounded like a dog in the neighborhood that would just not shut up. I wanted to throw rocks in the direction of their incessant vocalizations but they were a bit too far away. Instead I turned on the iPod and enjoyed Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.

And as I make my way up the trail the lyrics fit the moment.

You breathe in, you breathe out
And you're high on a high-flying cloud
Wrapped up in your magic shroud
As ecstasy surrounds you
This time it's found you

No comments: