Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Giving the devil his due

Day Thirty Five
Most days when I set out I have a general idea of where I'm going to go and today was just like that.  Of course, whether I end up there is a totally different story.  I had in mind climbing a little peak over by Lake Cahuilla. When I was driving by it the other day, I noticed an American flag at the top and thought it'd be fun to do that.  For some reason a lot of peaks out here either have flags or crosses on top of them to mark that someone's been there.  Whatever makes you happy.

Well, I drove out there in my Jeep and then just drove right on by.  It seemed a shame to not go as far as the road would take me.

This is the hill that I planned on climbing.  I guess I'll save it for another day.

God Bless America!

A sign at the trailhead for Devil Canyon.  The road continues on to the left so I'll follow it

This is the end of the road as far as I can tell.

This peak here looks interesting to come back and climb another day.  I don't see a flag or cross on top so maybe it'll be a first ascent.

A pretty yellow flower growing in the canyon.  I need to find my flower book but if anyone knows what it is, let me know.

Here's the canyon itself.  I hike up it a little bit but only get a small glimpse before I have to go and shower for work.  This is a place I'm going to have to come back to when the time I have to explore can be measured in hours rather than minutes.  There is a lot of potential for exploration down here.

I think when I come back I'll have someone drop me off.  I don't want my Jeep looking like this when I get back to it.

No comments: