Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Desert Hillbillies

Day Thirty Four
I'm always looking for new places to hike.  Fortunately in the desert, you can hike about anywhere.  Just pick a ridge, a canyon, a wash and go!  Today I picked on old road.

Although the most popular hike in our area is an old road and I think it's a terrible hike sometimes you have to take what you get.  I was out scouting for a future hike and found a road to explore and since my wife had my Jeep, it was time to walk.

It's State Park land so that's a good sign.

This is the road I head up.

Looks like more than a few people come out here for shooting practice.

There are several of these holes dug along the road.  I guess they must be test digs for mines which didn't yield anything worthwhile.

At least there's a nice view from the top.

It looks like someone was less impressed with the quality of this parkland than I am.

Wait a minute!  I'm I seeing a mirage or what?

In case of a major flash flood here in the desert, I know exactly where I'm going.

I talked to a local and she told me about an old mining camp called "Dirty Sock Camp" that's up one of the washes in the hills near where I went today.  There's also a Hidden Gold Mine and several other things of interest to make me want to come back.  I don't think I'll be hiking the road again, though.  God made Jeeps for a reason and hiking a road is like kissing your sister: if you like it, you're living in the wrong place.

No comments: