Saturday, December 13, 2008

Taking the troops on a march


Took my son, Nikolas, and five of the neighbor kids on a little hike today.  A little hike for me, that is.  For the kids it was like the Bataan Death March over the landscape of the moon.

We went to the 1000 Palm Oasis and hiked to the McCallum Grove.  It's like a mile.  Of course, when you're five years old one mile seems like fifty.  At the McCallum Grove there is a little pond (or a big giant lake to the kids)  which is home to the Desert Pupfish and some crayfish that someone threw in there.  The boys were very excited to see a "crab" and I'm sure their parents will be wonder where on earth I took them when they hear about it.

I have to learn to take more pictures because when I hike I never take enough. I'm too busy enjoying the experience and the surroundings and the company.  I'll try to get better.

Here are a few of the pictures I did take:


I didn't get any pictures of the Grove itself or of the "lake" or of the "crab".  Sorry.  But here we are climbing a hill after leaving the grove.  Johnnie, age 5, was already starting to drag a bit and so Mark gave him a lift.  I was enlisted into that service later.

Here the boys have made it to the top of the hill overlooking the McCallum Grove (on the left).  


Hey!  What's this pile of rocks doing here?

Buh-bye.

Inside the Palm Tree cabin in the Wilhelm Grove, all decorated for Christmas (can you guess which kid is mine?).  This is a fascinating place and I would recommend it to everyone.  There are some really fun hikes to take and it has a very interesting history.  On my next trip, I promise to take more pictures of the landscape, the trees and the pond.

The kids had fun, didn't grumble too much and I'm sure their parents will be grateful when they want to go to bed at about 8 o'clock tonight.

No comments: