Friday, January 1, 2010

Some Much Needed Rest

For the first day in a year I didn't go on a hike. I woke up, went to work and then came home.

It feels weird.

I feel like I have to go out and do something tonight before I go to bed. My evening seems empty, off balance, confusing.

I think I'll be able to deal with it, though.

This year I did not make a resolution. It's not that I didn't think about it. But what could be as cool as hiking every day?

Here are some of my ideas:

Rock And Roll All Night and Party Every Day
I'm a bit out of practice and I never was very good to begin with but I thought that if I jammed my guitar every day, by the end of the year I could be the next Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page. I'm getting a late start at rock stardom but it's never too late to fulfill one's calling. The wife shot this idea down right away. She said she couldn't handle the noise but I think she's threatened by the idea of groupies.

Cook Every Day
After rock star, I think chef is one of the coolest things a person can be. Like a rock star, a chef sets out to entertain, to move his audience, to fill something within them that's empty. Besides, a person has to eat; this one would be easy. But who would want to read about me making tacos night after night? This is something I do anyway and wouldn't really be a stretch so I shot that down.

Clean Every Day
This was The Wife's idea. I can't blame her. Cleanliness is not my best attribute. Since cleanliness is next to Godliness I've always figured why spend time focusing on anything that belongs in second place? Moses did a lot of hiking. King David did lots of hiking. Jesus did lots of hiking. I don't remember reading anything about them cleaning. Hiking is a Godly activity; cleaning not so much.

Make Love Every Day
I brought this up to the wife and she thought it was a great idea. We'll do that one right after Clean Every Day, she told me.

There goes that idea.

So, I won't be doing anything every day this year since eating and sleeping every day wouldn't be that interesting to write about. I will, however, still be writing about hikes. After my wrap-up with my favorite hikes and pictures of the year, I will link to a couple of new blogs that I'm planning for the future. In addition to writing and photos I'm hoping to add video and maps and maybe GPS tracks, as well. This year will not be about getting me out on the trails but about getting you out there, too. I'm also thinking about leading some group hikes on occasion. I haven't done that for a while.

Before I do anything, though, I think I'm going to go to the Spa and get a pedicure.

I think I deserve it.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Those are some nasty toes! Definate yes on the pedicure. You can do my vow and Pray Every Day. Or, how about "Call your mother every day?"