Sunday, March 1, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

Day Sixty

I have to admit I was a little sore this morning after taking my tumble yesterday. But not bad enough to even consider not going on a hike. My niece was visiting from Orange County so I decided to take her to Murray Canyon in the Indian Canyons. Too bad I didn't know about the Hike for Hope taking place there today.

The Hike for Hope is a fundraising event where people hike to raise money for Breast Cancer Research. I guess it's been going on for about ten years. Now that I know about it, I think I might participate in the future. It's certainly a worthy cause. Find out more about it here.

Anyway, on our way to Murray we met up with about a hundred hikers--I'm not kidding--heading out of the canyon. Oh well, Murray has never been much of a wilderness experience anyway.

Here are some hikers waiting in line to cross the creek.

A couple of little bedrock mortars along the trail.

There was a very good flow coming out of the canyon and the water was COLD.

The first of the seven sisters.

A young woman was injured in some way and required rescue from the local Search and Rescue team. I didn't take any other pictures, although I could have, because I know if I were in that situation I wouldn't want a lot of gawkers taking pictures of me.

Murray Canyon is always a nice hike, especially when the water is flowing as much as it was today. It was great to see so many people out hiking for a good cause and I hope to join them in the future. I am also grateful for the Search and Rescue workers. Hopefully, I'll never need their services and I pray the young woman they brought out of the canyon today is doing well.

Two months down. I'll share some thoughts on it later this week.

No comments: